Every third Sunday of the month from 11am to 4pm (activities end at 3pm).
In conjunction with Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday, the museum also holds a free Family Day at its location in Makiki Heights, with entertainment and an art activity. A free shuttle bus runs between the Honolulu Museum of Art and Spalding House, so you can enjoy both events in one day.
Limited parking is available. Street parking is not permitted.
October 16: Creepy Crawly
• Cyanotype prints: Kids will use the sun, toy bugs, and natural materials gathered from the Spalding House garden to make cyanotype prints.
• Drawing Contest
• Storytelling with Nancy Kulp, noon-12:30pm + 2-2:30pm: Nancy Kulp will read a couple of fun Halloween stories, along with showing pictures of real creepy crawlies: bugs and spiders that live in our world. Then learn about your skeleton through the old jazz song "Dry Bones."
• Fantastic Landscapes: Kids will create imaginative landscapes using different forms of collage.
• In The Garden: For today’s Drawing Contest, kids explore the Spalding House garden and tell a story through words, drawings, or both based on their observations. The winner will receive a family picnic lunch from the Spalding House Café.
• Storytelling with Nancy Kulp, noon-12:30pm + 2-2:30pm: Join Storyteller Nancy Kulp to hear a Chinese children's tale, and then take a little exercise break with some movement activities. The American holiday of Thanksgiving is around the corner, so the story of the Pilgrims and Native Americans feast will also be told.