The Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art offers Hawai‘i residents, students, and active duty military the opportunity to tour Shangri La, the center for Islamic arts and cultures near Diamond Head, free of charge on the first Saturday of every month.
Tours start at the Honolulu Museum of Art.
Visitors who go directly to Shangri La on their own will not be permitted on the property.
Free to Hawai‘i residents with proof of residency (current Hawai'i Driver’s License, State Identification, Hawai'i student ID or Military ID).
Proper identification must be provided at check-in. No exceptions made.
Infants, toddlers, and children under 8 are not permitted on the tour.
Due to limited space, reservations are confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis upon receipt of a completed tour request form (currently closed, check back on Dec 27 to sign up for a Jan 5 tour).
• Two tickets maximum per entry. Duplicate entries will not be considered. No phone calls please.
• Upon receiving your request form, the Shangri La reservation office will email you if space is available.
• Due to limited space, consideration will be given to those who are first-time visitors to Shangri La.
Tour dates and times are subject to change. Shangri La reserves the right to cancel tours due to inclement weather and unforeseen circumstances.
Physical tour requirements
The house and grounds are built on several levels. The guided 90-minute walking tour includes several staircases and uneven walking surfaces including stone paving and grass lawn.
For visitor safety and satisfaction, please note that the tour route includes the following:
• Approximately 64 steps without rails, both up and down
• Narrow brick pathway without rails for 433ft
• Limited breaks where seating is provided
• Spaces are not climate controlled
Some areas may be inaccessible to persons with disabilities. Visitors who cannot manage the physical tour requirements independently are asked to contact the Shangri La reservation office (808) 532-3853 (ext. 1) to discuss other possible options.
For general information regarding First Saturday Free Kama‘aina Tours, please call (808) 535-1875.