Preparing Your Students
Ensure your students and chaperones are familiar with these guidelines.
• At least one chaperone is required for every five students in grades Pre-K and K.
• At least one chaperone is required for every ten students in grades 1-12
• Chaperones must remain with students at all times.
• The required chaperones receive free admission and are expected to be active participants, assistants, and manage student discipline. Additional chaperones beyond the required number pay the $10 admission.
• Only pencils are allowed in the galleries. (no pens or markers)
• Do not touch or lean on artwork, cases, pedestals, and walls.
• Stay three feet away from all objects.
• No food, drinks, or chewing gum are allowed in the museum.
• Turn off all cells during the tour.
• Photographs may be taken without flash.
• Groups may be asked to leave if they do not follow these rules.
Storage space and lunch
• At the museum, a group storage bin is available for your backpacks and lunches. At Spalding House, students may leave their bags on the lanai.
• Purses and bags over 16 inches belonging to adults must be checked in a free locker.
• When visiting the museum, you may have a picnic lunch at Thomas Square Park. If you wish to picnic on the lawn at the Honolulu Museum of Art School. Please call 808-532-8742 to make a reservation. When visiting Spalding House, students may picnic on the lawn after their tour.
• Bring trash bags and dispose of your waste in the dumpsters or back at your school.
• Students should use the restrooms at the school before visiting the Museum. Our facilities are limited. When necessary, restrooms may be available before or after your tour, for small groups accompanied by a teacher.
• After your tour, please help us improve our programs by completing our online evaluation.