May 29, 2011 10:00am-01:00pm
Honolulu Academy of Arts
ARTafterDARK is the Honolulu Academy of Arts' monthly art party organized by a dynamic group of young volunteers dedicated to exploring the arts.
This month's co-chairs: Natalie Aczon, Lacy Matsumoto, and Darlene Reynon
Journey to the Maghreb on the Marrakech Express.
DJ Nocturna sets a Middle Eastern tone. Central Courtyard, 6-9pm.
Phoenix Dance Project belly dancers will perform in Central, Kinau, and Banyan Courtyards, 7-9pm.
Come participate in Orvis artist-in-residence James Jack's installation by sculpting a cone that will become part of the site-determined work "Miniature Landscape for O'ahu." For this night, it'll be "Miniature Landscape of the Moroccan Desert" in Kinau Courtyard, 6-9pm.
New York-based artist Darren Waterston gives a gallery talk for his new exhibition Forest Eater. Meet in front of Gallery 29 (upstairs in Luce Pavilion) at 6:45pm to start the tour.
Take a special tour of the Arts of the Islamic World Gallery (26) with an Academy docent. Meet inside the gallery by the Banyan Courtyard entrance. 7pm & 7:30pm.
ENTER TO WIN
Participate in our ?art gallery hunt to win a private tour of Shangri La for you and 3 friends! Get your forms in Central Courtyard, fill out the gallery questions, and submit your answers.
Still not a member? Well here's something to sweeten the pot—sign up for a new membership at the Individual level in front of the Academy that night and you'll be entered to win another private tour of Shangri La for four people. As a new member, you'll be able to pass the long lines and get your special wristband for the members-only bar in Mediterranean Courtyard.
By Town and Downtown
Dinner on a plate in Kinau Courtyard:
• Chicken with preserved lemon and olives
• Almond-raisin couscous
• Grated cucumber and mint salad
• Orange with cinnamon + orange blossom water
Small plates in Luce Pavilion:
• Roasted carrot salad with orange, cinnamon, and dried mint
• Peppers and chickpeas with goat's milk crème fraiche
• Fried fish cakes with chermoula
• Lamb tagine with potatoes and olives
• Spring vegetable xouscous
• Fruit salad with honey and orange blossom water
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: The Pro Park Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona, entrances on Beretania and Young streets
2) FREE: Street parking on Beretania and Kinau Street from 6 p.m.
3) FREE: Academy Staff Parking Lot at 1035 Kinau St., diamondhead of Victoria Street
4) $5 at the First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria streets. NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10 p.m.
5) $5 at Kim Chee III Parking Lot on Young Street