Two Museums and a Royal Palace
August 10, 2012 05:00pm-10:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art, Bishop Museum, ‘Iolani Palace
In an unprecedented move, the museum teams up with Bishop Museum and ‘Iolani Palace for a night of cultural exploration and fun. Visitors can take free shuttle buses between the venues to fully experience Honolulu's first ever culture hop.
You can join in the event at any location. Wherever you start, you will receive a wrist band that will allow entry to all three venues.
Buses will leave each venue every half hour, at 15 minutes past the hour, and 15 minutes to the hour.
The route: Bishop Museum > ‘Iolani Palace > Honolulu Museum of Art > Bishop Museum
Admission: $10 adults, $5 children 4-12, children 3 and under are free.
Includes entry to all three locations.
Free for members of all three institutions.
Each location will have a different experience, with special programming created just for the event.
At the Honolulu Museum of Art
• Tickets at front entrance
• All galleries and exhibitions open
• Live music:
5:30-6:30pm: Chaotic Five, pint-size rockers play hit pop tunes
7-10pm: DJ Betty spins dance tunes
• Live art demos: 5-9pm ceramics
• Art activities
• Ghost stories: 5-9 p.m. Skilled storyteller Lopaka Kapanui spins chicken-skin tales inspired by the artwork in the Holt Gallery of the Arts of Hawai‘i
• "Living art"—featuring docents dressed as some of the museum's notable artworks, such as Whistler's Lady Meux.
• Film: 7-10pm: The award-winning short animated films Why Maui Snared the Sun, Menehune and the Birds, and Pele Searches for a Home.
• Honolulu Museum of Art Café's bar, serving beer, wine, and soft drinks for purchase
At Bishop Museum
• Tickets at front entrance
• Hawaiian Hall, J. Watumull Planetarium, and Mamiya Science Adventure Center open.
• Docent-led guided tours through Hawaiian Hall at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30pm
• Printmaking and other art actiivities on the Hawaiian Hall Gallery Lawn related to the upcoming exhibitions Textured Lives and HI Fashion: The Legacy of Alfred Shaheen, 5-9pm
• "Sky Tonight" Planetarium shows, every hour on the half hour at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30pm
• Ola Nā Mo‘olelo storytelling and Hula Nei interactive hula program, every hour on the hour, 6-9:30pm
• Live music by Hoakahi and Kona Kai, 5:30-9:30pm
Offerings including planetarium programs, cultural storytelling, an interactive hula program, and docent-led guided tours through Hawaiian Hall. Families can enjoy educational art activities related to two upcoming exhibitions, Textured Lives and HI Fashion: The Legacy of Alfred Shaheen while live music, three food trucks, and a no-host bar round out the evening’s events.
At ‘Iolani Palace
• Tickets at bottom of stairs at front entrance
• Rare event!: Second-floor will be open. ‘Iolani Palace is normally open to the public at night only one night a year, in December.
• Pianists Aaron Sala, Iwalani Apo, and Grant Mack will play period music inside the palace.
• Matt Sproat, of Waipuna, and DJ Heavy Beat perform in the Barracks Beer Garden.