About Face, Forward March
May 29, 2010 04:00am-07:00am
Honolulu Academy of Arts
ARTafterDARK is the Honolulu Academy of Arts' monthly art party organized by a dynamic group of young volunteers dedicated to exploring the arts.
Get ready for Memorial Day!
It's a red, white + blue event! Think the Andrew Sisters and 'From Here to Eternity.'
NEW THIS MONTH: Maleko—DJ and McDonald's commercial star—will roam through the Academy with a mic, making sure you know which bar has the shortest lines, giving out scavenger hunt details, cracking wise and other important stuff.
Go on the military-inspired scavenger hunt through the galleries. Pick up forms in Central Courtyard, then submit them once you've completed the hunt. Three winners will be randomly selected from the submitted entries after the event. Only forms with correct answers are eligible to win. Be sure your contact info on the form is correct. Academy docents will be in the galleries to assist you. Good luck!
Scavenger hunt prizes include:
• ARTafterDARK goody bag. Includes two AAD guest passes and two food and beverage tokens to be used at any of the remaining 2010 events.
• Tower of Power concert tickets. The winner and a friend will be sitting in the third-row at the Tower of Power concert on Thursday, June 3 at Blaisdell Arena.
Winners will be granted their choice of prize based on the sequence their name was drawn from the entry box.
The Late Show plays American standards, jazz and bop in Central Courtyard 6-9pm
DJ Slant and Xhift Magazine's DJ Xhift spin dance hall favorites from then and now in the Luce Pavilion 6-9pm
"USO" Cantina: Banyan Courtyard will be decked out like an old WWII USO cantina with red, white and blue banners and decorated tables using grass skirts—everyone will get shell leis at the door. Tunes like Candyman and Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and other forties favorites will play 6-9pm.
Special for ACTIVE MEMBERS of the U.S. military: Stop by the Benefits Booth to retrieve a small token of our appreciation for your service—a coupon for 50% off one food or beverage item of your choice at any town/Downtown station at ARTafterDARK. Offer applies only to active military. Current military IDs must be shown to receive coupon. One per person. Coupon good only at the May 2010 ARTafterDARK event.
Two Salutes Wall: Please bring a photocopy of photographs of your loved ones in the military to put on our tribute board in Kinau Courtyard. Guests may pin their images to the board or write messages of thanks—two salutes—throughout the night.
LIVE SWING PERFORMANCE:
From 6:30-7:30PM, catch the Hawaii Jitterbugs in the Central Courtyard. They will be dancing and teaching swing.
Kuahiwi Ranch burgers
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: The Diamond Head Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona, entrances on Beretania and Young streets
2) FREE: Street parking on Beretania Street from 6 p.m.
3) FREE: First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria streets. NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10 p.m.
4) FREE: Academy Staff Parking Lot at 1035 Kinau St., diamondhead of Victoria Street
5) $5 at Kim Chee III Parking Lot on Young Street