May 01, 2010 04:00am-07:00am
Honolulu Academy of Arts
ARTafterDARK is the Honolulu Academy of Arts' monthly art party organized by a dynamic group of young volunteers dedicated to exploring the arts. The mastermind behind Camelot is ARTafterDARK Advisory Board Member Megan Hiramoto.
Cape Cod, sailboats, Top-Siders, touch football, Wayfarers, tousled hair and the mix of Halston and Harvard sweatshirts—the romance of an era when America had its own royalty is endlessly alluring. What better way to mark the arrival of spring than an ARTafterDARK tribute to the mid-century Kennedy mystique and the best of New England living.
Not that we have ever been invited to dine at the White House, but our imagination tells us it would go something like this... pull up a seat at ARTafterDARK's version of a State Dinner.
• String quartet performance on the Central Court stage from 6:30-8:30PM
Ignace Jang, violin
Fumiko Wellington, violin
Colin Belisle, viola
Andrew Eckard, cello
• Letitia Baldrige-approved behavior and First Lady Jacqueline-inspired attire is encouraged
• Party crashers welcome!
Banyan Courtyard (enter at your own risk):
While we're mesmerized by the glamour the Kennedys brought to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, we're equally fascinated by the scandals. Slither into our the Allegedly Lounge, to hear live 60s lounge music by Jenna Rae and sip cocktails among Camelot's most scandalous faces.
"Her mouth is a honey-blossom, no doubt, as the poet sings; but within her lips, the petals, lurks a cruel bee that stings." —William D. Howells
It's not quite a lobster shack, but you won't want to miss the seafood dishes from Town and drinks from Downtown.
• Summer in Cape Cod menu by Town: Boston chowder, corn on the cob
* The Hot Muffins spin from 6-9PM. They are preparing some great 60's mash-ups so come ready to dance!
* Jacqueline's White House Dinners menu by Town: moules provençale, mahimahi meunière, Waialua aspèrge avec sause Hollandaise, galantine de poulet de moutard, pommes Lyonnaise et mousse au chocolat de l'Académie.
Art to see:
ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE STEVE COY
Though his reign as the Academy's final Artist-in-Residence for 2009-2010 was suppose to end on April 25, Steve Coy has graciously offered to stick around for ARTafterDARK! Check out his Urban Futurescape in Gallery 31 (go down the stairs in Banyan Courtyard). A bonus installation will also be on view in the Kinau Courtyard during AAD!
All the first floor art galleries are open during ARTafterDARK for you to enjoy. Academy docents will also be present in the following galleries with new art on the walls.
Gallery 28: From Whistler to Warhol: Modernism on Paper
Gallery 27: New modern and contemporary art rotation
Gallery 14: Masterpieces from the Richard Lane Collection
Gallery 16: Living Tradition: The Calligraphy of Chen Wei-Teh
Gallery 20: Hina Matsuri: Japanese Dolls from the Tsuji Family Collection
Gallery 21: Warriors, Maidens and Foxes: Kabuki in Japanese Woodblock Prints (rotation ends May 23 - see it while you still can!)
Gallery 10: New Impressionist art rotation—van Gogh, Pissarro + more
Gallery 9: Graphic Cabinet 5: Private and Public Devotion in Medieval Europe (rotation ends May 9 - see it while you still can!)
YOU WANT A T-SHIRT? WE GOT YOUR T-SHIRT!
After seven years, ARTafterDARK has finally started a logo line with a 2010 ARTafterDARK T-shirt! The white tee ($20) is the perfect event momento for all you AAD diehards. They will be available ONLY at ARTafterDARK. Men and women styles available. Get your shirt now while supplies last. The satellite shop is in Luce Pavilion (near the cafe).
Many thanks to Malia Wisch and The Academy Shop for their hard work on this project!
HONOLULU MAGAZINE SPECIAL OFFER AND GIVEAWAY
Our wonderful media sponsor HONOLULU Magazine has got a great deal for you: Receive a one-year subscription to HONOLULU Magazine for only $12 when you sign up at AAD. The normal subscription price is $20—so sign up at AAD and save enough for a celebratory cocktail! The Academy receives a donation from each new subscription so it's a win-win-win!
Also, while at the HONOLULU Magazine table in the Central Courtyard, make sure to inquire about a great giveaway... trust us, you want to enter!
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: The Diamond Head Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona, entrances on Beretania and Young streets
2) FREE: Street parking on Beretania Street from 6 p.m.
3) FREE: First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria streets. NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10 p.m.
4) FREE: Academy Staff Parking Lot at 1035 Kinau St., diamondhead of Victoria Street
5) $5 at Kim Chee III Parking Lot on Young Street