August 28, 2009 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Academy of Arts
'About Face' information
The mastermind behind About Face: ARTafterDARK Advisory Board Member Curtis Lee
Face to Face: The art of the portrait to an 80s soundtrack
Get ready for the largest dance party ARTafterDARK has ever seen!
• Vegas Mike spins 80s dance favorites in Central Courtyard.
• DJ Nocturna spins the best of 80s rock in Banyan Courtyard.
• See a morphing portraits slideshow of 80s icons in Kinau Courtyard.
With a theme like About Face, we had to have a photobooth! Grab your friends and head on over to the Banyan Courtyard for a free evening momento with help from our friends at Hawaii Digital Photobooth.
We will have props to dress up your photo. Momentos will print immediately so don't worry about waiting!
Morphing Faces Show:
MJ is never forgotten! Think back to the "Black & White" video of the early 90s, now plug in the faces of your favorite 80s icons and voila! Special thanks to Jim Abrams for making this possible.
• About-Their-Faces Scavenger Hunt: Test your portraits knowledge! Pick up the scavenger hunt form in Central Courtyard then look for portraits in the museum. Docents will be in all the galleries to help you. Submit your completed scavenger hunt form in Kinau Court and enter to win ARTafterDARK prizes.
SCAVENGER HUNT WINNERS:
The following three winners will receive 3 food and beverage tokens to be used as any ARTafterDARK!
Thanks to everyone who entered! More hunts to come... stay tuned!
Three winners will be randomly selected from the submitted entries after the event. Only forms with correct answers are eligible to win. Please be sure your contact info on the form is correct.
• Browse—most of the galleries will be open for your enjoyment.
Stop by the MAC Cosmetics Makeover Station in Kinau Court to peruse their new line of 80s-inspired colors. MAC Professionals Linel and Bob will be on hand help get you all dolled up for the weekend!
The Academy's curatorial staff has been hard at work mining the permanent collection to bring new art to you on a regular basis. See these new rotations:
Gallery 28 - Art To Go: An exhibition of children's artwork
Gallery 23 - NEW Charles Bartlett: The Golden Temple in Amritsar
Gallery 21 - Charles Bartlett: Watercolors and Prints of Japan
Gallery 20 - Yanagi Soetsu and the Mingei Movement
Gallery 16 - Charles Bartlett in China and Elizabeth Keith
Gallery 15 - Elizabeth Keith
Gallery 14 - Early Korean Ceramics: The Gaya Confederacy
Gallery 9 - NEW Francisco Goya prints
LIVE ART - Portrait Artist Wayne Takazono will be onsite sketching portraits of ARTafterDARKers. Wayne was one of the artists featured in the Schaefer Portrait Challenge Show presented by the Maui Arts and Cultural Center. The show is currently on view at The Contemporary Museum at First Hawaiian Center through September 11, 2009.
•Option 1: Pen sketch of side profile - $9 - takes 5 to 10 minutes
•Option 2: Charcoal sketch of side profile - $19 - takes 10 to 15 minutes
Group sketches are also available! Stop by and see for yourself in Luce Pavilion!
FOOD + DRINK:
Says Town chef Ed Kenney: "I remember sitting down at Roy's for the first time in 1988 and being blown away by his fusion food. At this ARTafterDARK we are serving pre-'88 food, TOWN style."
In Kinau Courtyard: Baked Potato Bar
Load your hot spud with a galaxy of condiments: blackened green beans, Vermont cheddar, applewood-smoked bacon, crème fraîche, garlic chives, roasted Ho's Farm tomatoes, chili con carne, charred jalapeños, feta, coarse mustard, whipped butter, fried capers, olive tapenade, smoked salmon relish, portuguese sausage, caramelized onions, roasted Hamakua mushrooms, and more.
$6, self serve
In Luce Pavilion: Ethnic American Classics
In the Luce Pavilion we will serving mini-size dishes of cuisines that were once "immigrant" and have been doctored and become part of the all-American menu—with a TOWN twist and local ingredients, of course.
Chowder in a Roll Bowl
Green Goddess onion rings
Chinese chicken salad
Chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwichettes
Downtown secured a generous sponsorship from Kai Lychee Vodka. So there was only one way to go—with HNL '80s diva Carole Kai!
Sip the ever refreshing Karole Kai, with ginger and chile for that sassy kick.
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: The Diamond Head Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona (free)
2) FREE: Street parking on Beretania Street from 6PM (free)
3) FREE: First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria Street (free) - NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10PM
4) FREE: Academy Staff Parking Lot after the Admiral Thomas Complex on Kinau Street (free)
5) $5 per car: Kim Chee III Parking Lot off Young Street
Event photos by Arturo Solis of Entwine Wedding Photography