February 26, 2010 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Academy of Arts
'Mad for Modern' information
ARTafterDARK is the Honolulu Academy of Arts' monthly art party organized by a dynamic group of young volunteers dedicated to exploring the arts. The mastermind behind Mad for Modern is ARTafterDARK Advisory Board Member Lacy Matsumoto.
After a three-month hiatus, ARTafterDARK is back with all the modern art you can handle.
• Zip tours: Docents lead tours of the Academy's big spring show From Whistler to Warhol: Modernism on Paper.
zip tour 1: 6:30-7PM
zip tour 2: 7-7:30PM
Explore more modern art in the newly reinstalled galleries 10 and 27.
• Joseph Pa`ahana of the Drop Shadows is back with another live video installation in Kinau Courtyard. He will be remixing the images from the time when art went commercial.
• FREE figure sketches: Artist Lauren Roth will sketch ARTafterDARKers in Banyan Courtyard. You may have seen her work displayed around Whole Foods Market Kahala. Can you think of a better memento for the evening? Neither could we.
• FREE photographic portraits: Academy Orvis Artist-in-Residence Elizabeth Curtis will be in the Banyan Courtyard all night photographing guests as a part of her project The Visitors.
To participate in Elizabeth's project, visit the sign-up table at the entrance to the Academy during AAD. Each slot is 15 minutes in length. She can accommodate groups of up to five people. All portraits taken at the event will be available online the following week.
• ON ROTATION:
Gallery 9: Graphic Cabinet 5: Private and Public Devotion in Medeival Europe
Gallery 10: New installation of contemporary paintings
Gallery 20: Hina Matsuri: Japanese Dolls from the Tsuji Family Collection
Gallery 21: Poets and Printmakers: Literary Themes in Japanese Prints
Gallery 23: New installation on Indian art
Gallery 27: New installation of contemporary art
• DJ Nicky Savage from Santa Ana, CA, live in the Luce Pavilion from 6-9pm
• Clones of the Queen on stage in the Central Courtyard from 6-9PM
FOOD AND DRINK by Town and Downtown:
In Luce Pavilion:
Fritto misto (of local veggies) with Green Goddess dressing
Tomato soup with cheese foam and crostini
Dried aku with avocado on taro lavosh
Monte Cristo—France's answer to the grilled cheese sandwich (includes ham)
Local vegetable and fruit antipasti
In Kinau Courtyard:
Sweets Bar with:
chocolate meringue cake
& some surprises!
VISIT HONOLULU MAGAZINE
Stop by the HONOLULU Magazine table in the Central Court to sign up for a Hon Mag subscription. $2 from every new subscription comes back to the Academy!
JUMP ON THE MEMBERSHIP BANDWAGON!
You don't have an Academy membership yet? That must mean you are still waiting in the long general admission line. Join now for express entry to ARTafterDARK!
If you sign-up at the membership table at the Academy entrance at Mad for Modern, you'll be entered to win an Andy Warhol contemporary art poster - "art is what you can get away with."
The poster will be on view at the membership table. The winner will be randomly selected after the event and notified on Monday, March 1 by email address or phone number listed on membership form, so keep it accurate, people.
*The winner of the Andy Warhol poster is Jill Tanaka of Ewa Beach! Congrats to Jill and thank you to all the people who renewed their existing Academy membership or signed up for a new one at ARTafterDARK!
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: The Diamond Head Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona, entrances on Beretania and Young streets
2) FREE: Street parking on Beretania Street from 6 p.m.
3) FREE: First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria streets. NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10 p.m.
4) FREE: Academy Staff Parking Lot at 1035 Kinau St., diamondhead of Victoria Street
5) $5 at Kim Chee III Parking Lot on Young Street
Event photos by local photographer Arturo Solis of Entwine Wedding Photography!