February 25, 2011 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Academy of Arts
'Uma Noite de Carnaval' information
ARTafterDARK is the Honolulu Academy of Arts' monthly art party organized by a dynamic group of young volunteers dedicated to exploring the arts.
The Academy jets to Brasil for Uma Noite de Carnaval!
Live music, samba performance, capoeira demonstrations—we celebrate Brasilian style!
Head to Central Courytard for:
6-7pm: Bossa Brazil plays bossa nova
7-7:30pm: Capoeira Besouro demonstration
7:30-9pm: End the night on a high note with samba!
DJ G-Spot will spin upbeat Latin tunes from 6 to 9pm in Luce Pavilion.
See art: Exquisitely Modern: 50 Works from Herbert and Dorothy Vogel
New York collectors Dorothy and Herbert Vogel gave the Academy 50 works from their important collection of contemporary art, all by American artists of international significance. To celebrate this generous gift—and significant expansion of the Academy's holdings in mid-20th-century art—the Academy is organizing a major exhibition that will bring the Vogel collection together with related work from the Academy's permanent collection. An introduction to minimalist, post-minimalist, and conceptual art—and a glimpse into the collecting practice of an extraordinary couple—this exhibition will humanize the seemingly esoteric world of high modernism.
Zip tour @7pm and 7:30pm. Meet the docent inside the gallery.
Learn about art: ?art is back. Docents will be in the galleries to engage you in a dialogue with art. Visit our volunteers in Central Courtyard to pick up a map to find out where the fun will be!
Be part of the art: Artist-in-residence Katie Small will be in Kinau Courtyard. She paints on canvases that are connected to a contact mic. As guitarist Rosco Wuestewald plays, his music and the amplified sound of Small's painting interact. You absorb the good vibrations.
Make art: If you don't have a costume for Carnaval, go to the Banyan Courtyard to make your own Carnaval mask (you can take it with you).
Town's Brazilian menu:
In Kinau Courtyard: Feijoada plate (black-bean stew with rice and kale)
In Luce Court: Small-plate choices:
• Churrasco and molho à campanha (grilled meats with spicy sauce)
• Bolinhos de arroz (crisp rice fritters)
• Salada de palmito (Big Island hearts of palm salad)
• Pudim de laranga (orange flan with fresh fruit)
Downtown will serve drinks for purchase. Last month was the debut of our members-only bar in Central Courtyard. From now on you'll find it in the Mediterranean Courtyard.
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: The Pro Park Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona, entrances on Beretania and Young streets
2) FREE: Street parking on Beretania Street from 6 p.m.
3) FREE: First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria streets. NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10 p.m.
4) FREE: Academy Staff Parking Lot at 1035 Kinau St., diamondhead of Victoria Street
5) $5 at Kim Chee III Parking Lot on Young Street