September 20, 2015 11:00am-05:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday event information
See the exhibition Splendor and Serenity: Korean Ceramics from the Honolulu Museum of Art then try your hand at art activities inspired by Korean art traditions.
September is Splendid Korea month
Throughout September, the museum celebrates Korean arts and culture through special events; see the full schedule.
• Make a custom bojagi: Kids will receive a square of fabric to create a custom bojagi, a traditional Korean cloth used for gift wrapping, carrying food, or transporting items. Design possibilites are limitless with colorful fabric crayons and a variety of Korean-inspired stamps.
• Make a jegi, play jegichagi: Jegichagi is a Korean version of hacky sack. Using metal washers and fabric, kids can assemble their own makeshift jegi, similar to the coin jegis used in Korea for more than 2,000 years. Then they can kick and toss their creations around, trying to keep them off the ground.
• Join Kpop in Paradise for an unforgettable Korean pop music and dance experience.
• Watch a traditional Korean dance performance by Halla Huhm Korean Dance Studio, and then feel the beat of their cultural drums.
• Check out a masterful taekwondo demonstration by Immortal Spirit Martial Arts Academy.
• See the Korean Artist Association of Hawaii's cooking club make tradtional Korean dishes. Learn how to make kimchi and jun (chive pancake) and sample it too.
FAMILY FILM SUNDAY
Seoul Cinema: The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow
Directed by Chang Hyung-yun. South Korea. 2014. 81 min. Korean with English subtitles. Recommended for ages 8 +.
11:10am + 1pm • Free
DOUBLE THE FUN
Take a shuttle bus to the museum’s free Family Day at Spalding House in Makiki Heights!
For kids (ages 1-17):
The museum gives contestants a theme and drawing supplies.
The winner receives a Supporting Membership to the Honolulu Museum of Art ($100 value), and his or her artwork is used to create the following month’s event brochure and is posted on the museum's website.
Congratulations to this month's winner!
Ji Jun Lee, age 8, from Honolulu