April 16, 2017 11:00am-05:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday event information
Reading rocks! Bring a gently used book for Bank of Hawaii's Pop-Up Book Swap, and make literature-inspired art. Storyteller Jeff Gere and Bess Press authors will spin tales. And celebrate the museum's 90th birthday!
Note: Activities end at 3pm.
ART + ENTERTAINMENT
• Feel the rhythm: Listen as the indie band Hook+Line performs classic and original tunes. 12:30-1:30pm.
• Make a HoMA birthday card: It's our 90th birthday and we're celebrating all year long! (April 8 was the official day.) Artist Lauren Trangmar helps kids make a pop-up card to in honor of the museum's milestone.
• Create watercolor collages: Mariko Merritt and Lisa Shiroma help kids make paper collages inspired by favorite island children's books, such as Island Toes, Hush Little Keiki, and Shave Ice in Hawai‘i.
• Birthday treat!: Happy Birthday to HoMA! Get a free cup of Tropilicious pineapple sherbet, while supplies last. 11:15am-1:15pm. A big mahalo to Tropilicious!
• Special guests Lee Cataluna and Cheye Gallarde!: Visit the Museum Shop to buy a copy of Ordinary ‘Ohana by Lee Cataluna, then have it signed by Lee and the book’s illustrator, Cheyne Gallarde. Cheyne will also sketch quick portraits of kids on Post-it notes that you can take home.
• Book swap: Participate in Bank of Hawaii’s pop-up book swap, a mini version of their popular book swap featured at the Hawai‘i Book and Music Festival, happening May 6-7 this year. Bring a gently used book to swap for another book. Books of all family-friendly genres are welcome.
• Go behind the brushstrokes: Get a glimpse of the personalities behind the portraits inside the Portraiture Gallery as storyteller Jeff Gere brings the paintings to life.
FAMILY FILM SUNDAY
The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince)
Directed by Mark Osborne. France. 2015. 108 min. • Rated PG
11:10am + 1pm • Free
DOUBLE THE FUN
Take a shuttle bus to the museum’s free Family Day at Spalding House in Makiki Heights for more art and fun.
Open to kids age 1 to 17, the contest station features drawing supplies where participants create a drawing based on a theme.
The winner receives a Supporting Membership to the Honolulu Museum of Art ($100 value), and his or her artwork is used to create the following month’s event brochure and is posted on the museum's website.
Congratulations to this month's winner: Owen Cheng, age 8, of Honolulu