Surfing the ‘50s
Sunday Jul 31 01:00 PM
Sunday Jul 31 04:00 PM
Sunday Jul 31 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Director: Bud Browne
USA, 1993, 70 mins.
“I realized I had all this pristine surf film on the shelf that no one had seen in more than 30 years, and that it would be of value as a historical record of an important time in the early years of surfing,” wrote Bud Browne. He assembled his best 1950s footage, along with highlights from such films as The Big Surf and Cat on a Hot Foam Board, and got Hawai‘i’s Peter Cole and John Kelly to narrate.
Anna Trent Moore will introduce the film and surf legends at 7:30pm and afterwards will lead a q+a and book signing for Increments of Fear: The Buzzy Trent Story.
SOLD OUT: Closing night reception: July 31, 6-7:30 p.m.
The festival closes with a reception that features free beer from Kona Brewing Company, food for purchase from Da Spot, and a book signing with Anna Trent Moore, the daughter of surf legend Buzzy Trent, and author of Increments of Fear.
You can enter a raffle to win a Surftech Donald Takayama SUP board. Donate $20 to enter, or get six entries for $100. The drawing will be held at the end of the evening.
Click here to purchase tickets to the closing night screening and reception.
- Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami
- The Martian
- Happening: A Clean Energy Re…
- Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach
- Summer 1993
- Momentum Generation
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2018
- Locals Only
- Blue Intensity + The Church …
- Her Waves
- The Endless Winter II; Surfi…
- Perilous Sea + The Seawolf
- Blue Road + Surfing the Sout…
- She is the Ocean
- Adaptive Surfing films + panel
- Wave Inspirations curated by…
- HI Sk8 Films Shorts Showcase 2018
- Family Film Sunday: Given
- Emocean + Cuban Wave Riders
- Big Wata (The Ocean)
- Surf Profiles
- The Essence