Surfing the ‘50s
Sunday Jul 31 01:00 PM
Sunday Jul 31 04:00 PM
Sunday Jul 31 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Director: Bud Browne
USA, 1993, 70 mins.
“I realized I had all this pristine surf film on the shelf that no one had seen in more than 30 years, and that it would be of value as a historical record of an important time in the early years of surfing,” wrote Bud Browne. He assembled his best 1950s footage, along with highlights from such films as The Big Surf and Cat on a Hot Foam Board, and got Hawai‘i’s Peter Cole and John Kelly to narrate.
Anna Trent Moore will introduce the film and surf legends at 7:30pm and afterwards will lead a q+a and book signing for Increments of Fear: The Buzzy Trent Story.
SOLD OUT: Closing night reception: July 31, 6-7:30 p.m.
The festival closes with a reception that features free beer from Kona Brewing Company, food for purchase from Da Spot, and a book signing with Anna Trent Moore, the daughter of surf legend Buzzy Trent, and author of Increments of Fear.
You can enter a raffle to win a Surftech Donald Takayama SUP board. Donate $20 to enter, or get six entries for $100. The drawing will be held at the end of the evening.
Click here to purchase tickets to the closing night screening and reception.
- Maori Boy Genius + Koro's Medal
- Song of the Kauri + Whakatiki
- Fresh Meat + Two Cars, One Night
- The Rain of the Children + T…
- Seven Samurai
- Samurai Rebellion
- The Hidden Fortress
- Sword of Doom
- Ballet in Cinema: An Evening…
- Miss Vamp Hawaii: The Realit…
- The Heart and the Sea
- Jaws: Changing the Game + Si…
- Zero to 100 + Party Mix
- Bending Colours + Here and Now
- Groundswell + Stand
- Endless Winter + Beyond the Scars
- Signal Hill Speed Run
- Discovering Mavericks
- North of the Sun + El Mar Mi Alma
- Opera in Cinema: The Magic F…
- Isolated + Water Warriors
- Waverider + Doze
- Hangs Upon Nothing
- Family Film Sunday: Animate …
- Raw: The Movie + Onde Nostre
- Gun Ho