Hawaii Premiere: Brooklyn Boheme
Saturday Feb 25 01:00 PM
Saturday Feb 25 06:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directors: Nelson George, Diane Paragas
USA, 2011, 74 mins.
Nelson George explores the fertile ground of the Brooklyn neighborhood Fort Greene, which gave rise to an African-American arts movement in the late 20th century as vibrant as the Harlem Renaissance. Himself a scene insider—as a distinguished writer (Hip Hop America) and filmmaker (Good Hair)—George teams with Diane Paragas to interview such luminaries as Spike Lee, Chris Rock, Branford Marsalis, Rosie Perez, Saul Williams, and Lorna Simpson for a lively celebration of Brooklyn pride.
Preceded by -
The Barber of Birmingham, Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement
Directors: Gail Dolgin, Robin Fryday
USA, 2011, 25 mins
This short documentary is a portrait of Mr. James Armstrong, whose barbershop in Birmingham, Alabama, has been a hub for haircuts and civil rights since 1955. Mr. Armstrong recounts his experiences as part of the movement, and on the eve of the election of the first African-American president, we see him see his unimaginable dream come true.
Opening night reception: Feb 25, 6-7:30pm
Elegant püpü and a glass of wine are included in your ticket price. Nationally recognized entrepreneur Wally Amos will be the evening’s master of ceremonies.
$40, $35 museum members.
Tickets for this event must be purchased online by noon on Feb 21.
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)