Come Hell or High Water w/ I Just Love to Paddle
Thursday Jul 26 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Come Hell or High Water
Directed by Keith Malloy. USA, 2011, 40 mins.
Keith Malloy’s directorial debut, shot primarily on 16mm film, focuses on the simplicity and beauty of bodysurfing, exploring the sport’s history and progression through such bodysurfers as Dave Homcy, Jeff Hornbaker, Mark Cunningham, Mike Stewart, Chris Kalima, and Crystal Thornberg-Homcy. Winner: Best Feature, New York and London Surf Film Festivals; Best Surf Film, Byron Bay International Film Festival.
See the trailer.
-with- I Just Love to Paddle (short)
Directed by Marta Czajkowska. USA, 2010, 31 mins.
Few paddlers in the world can match experience and knowledge of waterman Nappy Napoleon. This film tells the inspirational story of his expedition, at the age of 67, to cross 9 Hawaiian channels in 6 consecutive days with five paddling companions, each in a one-man outrigger canoe.
See the trailer.
Opening night reception: July 7, 6-7:30 p.m. Featuring live surf music, and Hard Rock Cafe food, Kona Brewing Company beer and wine from Barefoot Wine & Bubbly for purchase. Opening and closing nights include a drawing for a longboard by local shaper Eric Walden, and a special package from Waikiki Beach Activities. Come Hell of High Water and I Just Love to Paddle screen at 7:30pm.. $15, $12 museum members
- Family Film Sunday: Continent Hop
- Rise and Dream
- Ang Nawawala | What Isn't There
- Remington and the Curse of t…
- Ballet in Cinema: Alice's Ad…
- Sta. Niña
- The Bladed Hand: The Global …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival
- Opera in Cinema: Tosca, Roya…
- Go Grandriders
- One Track Heart: The Story o…
- Maori Boy Genius + Koro's Medal
- Family Film Sunday: Short and Sweet
- Song of the Kauri + Whakatiki
- Fresh Meat + Two Cars, One Night
- The Rain of the Children + T…
- Samurai Rebellion
- The Hidden Fortress
- Sword of Doom
- Seven Samurai
- Ballet in Cinema: An Evening…
- Miss Vamp Hawaii: The Realit…