The Hawaiian Room
Saturday Nov 10 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Ann Marie Kirk. USA, 2012, 55 mins. Hawai‘i Premiere
In 1937, the legendary Hawaiian Room opened in the Hotel Lexington in New York City. The nightclub showcased hula dancers, singers and musicians from Hawai'i, transporting island sights and sounds to the bustling Manhattan. This film chronicles the experiences and legacy of the people who made Hawaiian Room magic.
Directed by Lana Dang. USA, 2012, 9 mins. Hawaiian with English subtitles
Kekoa wants the best for his daughter, though he himself is stuck between jobs and struggling with the fact that he cannot achieve what he wants. But there is one thing he can offer her—the ability to speak Hawaiian.
Winner: ACM Best Drama Award, Hawaii International Film Festival
Opening night reception:
Nov 10, 6-7:30pm. Hawaiian food and performance by Pa‘ahana!
$35, $30 museum members
Ticket includes a Hawaiian-food buffet featuring kalua pig, fried chicken, sweet-sour spareribs, lomi lomi salmon, poi, sweet potato, white rice, haupia and fresh pineapple.
Wine and beer will be available for purchase.
- Lo and Behold: Reveries of t…
- Miss Hokusai (百日紅)
- Setoutsumi (セトウツミ)
- Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eig…
- Tekkonkinkreet (鉄コン筋クリート)
- Ran (乱)
- Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (宮本武蔵)
- Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji…
- Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu …
- Family Film Sunday: NYICFF B…
- Sweet Bean (あん)
- Our Little Sister (海街 Diary)
- Millennium Actress (千年女優)
- Tokyo Godfathers (東京ゴッドファーザーズ)
- Paprika (パプリカ)
- Soaring HI: Celebrating the …
- Pokémon Double Feature
- You’ve Been Trumped
- I Am JFK Jr. – A Tribute to …
- The Candidate
- SOSEI (Revival): Film screen…