Papa Mau: The Wayfinder
Tuesday Nov 13 01:00 PM
Tuesday Nov 13 04:00 PM
Tuesday Nov 13 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Nāʻālehu Anthony. USA, 2010, 57 mins. English and Satawalese with English subtitles
Nov. 13 at 1, 4 + 7:30pm
This documentary charts the journey of legendary navigator Mau Piailug in reviving the art of non-instrument navigation in Polynesia. When Mau agreed to navigate Hōkūle‘a on her maiden voyage to Tahiti using only his knowledge of the stars and the ocean, the union of navigator and canoe reawakened cultural pride and unity throughout Polynesia. Official Selection: Hawai‘i International Film Festival
See the trailer.
The Sweepstakes (short)
Directed by Jamie Poliahu.USA, 2011, 12 mins.
Kaimana isn’t the most popular kid in his middle school, but cereal-box sweepstakes offering a surfboard prize spurs him to go all out in the hope of winning over his next-door neighbor, David.
- Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
- Ballet on Screen: Don Quixot…
- Stage on Screen: Great Expec…
- Opera on Screen: Arabella • …
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana