Singin' in the Rain
Saturday Dec 22 01:00 PM
Saturday Dec 22 04:00 PM
Saturday Dec 22 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Part of the series Happy Birthday Gene Kelly!
Directed by Gene Kelly, Stanley Donen. USA, 1952, 103 mins.
Before there was The Artist, there was Singin' in the Rain—a loving insider spoof of Hollywood’s switchover to sound filmmaking. Singin in the Rain is repeatedly recognized as one of the greatest big-screen musicals of all time. Silent-film sweethearts Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) and Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) are the toast of Tinseltown. While Lockwood and Lamont smolder onscreen, in real life Lockwood can't stand the egotistical, brainless Lina. He prefers the company of spunky aspiring actress Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds), whom he meets while escaping his screaming fans. It took seven days to shoot the iconic title number and it was worth every second!
Sixty years on, this timeless film is as funny and beautiful as the day it was released. Don't miss the chance to see this new print on the big screen—way better than on TV.
"He was more than a dancer; he was a game changer in how society viewed, understood and ultimately embraced dance."—New York Times dance critic Gia Kourlas on Gene Kelly. Read the full article on Gene Kelly as master choreographer.
See New York Times critic A.O. Scott's video podcast on what makes Singin' in the Rain so special.
See the trailer.
- Ang Nawawala | What Isn't There
- Remington and the Curse of t…
- Ballet in Cinema: Alice's Ad…
- Sta. Niña
- The Bladed Hand: The Global …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival
- Opera in Cinema: Tosca, Roya…
- Go Grandriders
- One Track Heart: The Story o…
- Maori Boy Genius + Koro's Medal
- Family Film Sunday: Short and Sweet
- Song of the Kauri + Whakatiki
- Fresh Meat + Two Cars, One Night
- The Rain of the Children + T…
- Samurai Rebellion
- The Hidden Fortress
- Sword of Doom
- Seven Samurai
- Ballet in Cinema: An Evening…
- Miss Vamp Hawaii: The Realit…