Searching for Sugarman
Sunday Aug 11 01:00 PM
Tuesday Aug 13 01:00 PM
Tuesday Aug 13 07:30 PM
Wednesday Aug 14 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Malik Bendjelloul. Sweden/UK, 2012, 86 mins.
Two South Africans set out to discover what happened to their unlikely musical hero, the mysterious 1970s rock ’n’ roller Rodriguez. After being discovered in a Detroit bar Rodriguez’s sound struck two renowned producers who gave him a once-in-a-lifetime recording deal. When the album bombed, the singer disappeared into obscurity in his home country. After a bootleg recording found its way into apartheid South Africa, however, he unknowingly became a phenomenon in a country more than 8,000 miles from his home. Winner: Academy Award for Documentary Feature; Audience Award + Jury Prize, Sundance Film Festival
View the trailer.
- Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
- Stage on Screen: Great Expec…
- Happy Birthday, Tūtū Ruth an…
- Opera on Screen: Arabella • …
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana