An Evening with Seals Through the Eyes of the Seal: Understanding the Secret Lives of Monk Seals
Saturday Aug 17 05:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $12.00
General Admission: $15.00
About the Film:
Lecture + screening: 5:30-7pm.
Doors open at 5pm.
Don’t miss this special evening that includes the premiere of footage from National Geographic Crittercams—video cameras affixed to Hawaiian monk seals’ backs.
You will also see brief presentations related to the ongoing efforts to recover and protect these animals—such as the imminent opening of a hospital for sick and injured seals. Learn and observe firsthand the facts about these fascinating animals. The evening will conclude with a reception with pūpū, drinks, lively discussion and an opportunity to meet the dedicated partners who are committed to science -conservation of Hawai‘i’s native seal.
Hunted to the brink of extinction in the late 1800s, the endangered Hawaiian monk seal population continues to decline throughout the Northwest Hawaiian Islands. However, the seal population in the main Hawaiian islands is growing—and this overlap of humans and seals has created conflict. Some fishermen see the seal as competition, others worry that regulations to protect seals restrict the use of beaches and other ocean resources. Still others are delighted to witness to the recovery of an endangered species.
For the past year, scientists, nongovernmental agencies, universities and local communities have been working to understand the secret lives of monk seals and address some of the most pressing questions and misconceptions about these animals. To do this, they outfitted seals with National Geographic “Crittercams” to record just what they are up to when they leave the islands’ shores.
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)