Friends of Film Friday: Opera Jawa
Friday Oct 18 06:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $12.00
General Admission: $15.00
About the Film:
Reception: 6-7:30pm. Screening: 7:30pm.
Directed by Garin Nugroho 2008. Indonesia | Austria. 120 mins. In Indonesian with English subtitles.
In this innovative cross-cultural musical, a pair of former Ramayana dancers who have forsaken their art to sell earthenware finds their real-life relationship falling toward the same dark fate as their fictional counterparts. Siti (Artika Sari Devi) and Setio (Martinus Miroto), a married couple living in a remote village, once made a living by reenacting the The Abduction of Sita, from the Hindu epic The Ramayana. As the story goes, Sita and Rama lived a life of marital bliss until the nefarious King Ravana kidnapped Sita and spirited her away to the land of Lanka in hopes of realizing his darkest fantasies. Now, as if the tragic tale has purposefully sought to curse those who would attempt to dramatize it, Siti and Setio find their own relationship plagued by the arrival of Ludiro (Eko Supriyanto—who was a dancer on Madonna’s Drowned World Tour), a ruthless tyrant who will stop at nothing to claim Siti as his own.
View the trailer.
Special guest: Director Garin Nugroho will introduce his film and lead a Q+A. Dr. Maya Soetoro-Ng, Professor of Education at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, will introduce Garin Nugroho at 7:30pm
Organized in conjunction with Shangri La The Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art, NETPAC and the Hawaii International Film Festival.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …