A Touch of Sin
Friday Nov 29 01:00 PM
Friday Nov 29 07:30 PM
Sunday Dec 01 07:30 PM
Tuesday Dec 03 07:30 PM
Wednesday Dec 04 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Jia Zhangke. China. 2013. 125 mins. Mandarin with English subtitles.
This daring exploration of contemporary China is inspired by four shocking (and true) events. Master director Jia Zhangke (The World, Still Life) examines the human costs of rapid economic expansion in this poetic, grand-scale film that focuses on four characters, each living in different provinces, who are driven to violent ends. An angry miner, enraged by widespread corruption in his village, takes justice into his own hands. A rootless migrant discovers the infinite possibilities of owning a firearm. A receptionist at a sauna (who dates a married man) is pushed beyond her limits by an abusive client. And a young factory worker goes from one discouraging job to the next, only to face increasingly degrading circumstances.
Winner: Best Screenplay, Cannes Film Festival. Official Selection: Toronto International Film Festival; Karlovy Vary Film Festival; New York Film Festival; Hawaii International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Land of Patagones | Tierra D…
- The Salt Trail + Black Sapph…
- Innersection: Black + Se7en Signs
- The Old, the Young & the Sea…
- Mt Zion
- Road to the Globe + Kotiro M…
- White Lies + Maumahara
- Mana Wairoa Māori Shorts
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods
- Opera on Screen | Falstaff f…
- Life Itself
- Finding Fela!
- Family Film Sunday: Take Wing
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …
- A Cube of Sugar | Ye Habe Ghand
- Snow on the Pines | Barf Roo…
- The Orange Suit | Narenji Poush
- The Last Step | Peleh Akher