20 Feet From Stardom
Wednesday Feb 26 07:30 PM
Thursday Feb 27 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Morgan Neville. USA. 2013. 91 mins.
Missed this one at the multiplex? See our top pick for the 2014 Oscar for Best Documentary on the big screen at the intimate Doris Duke Theatre.
Millions know their voices, but no one knows their names. 20 Feet From Stardom shines a spotlight on the untold true story of the backup singers behind some of the greatest musical legends of the 21st century. Triumphant and heartbreaking in equal measure, the film is both a tribute to the unsung voices who brought shape and style to popular music and a reflection on the conflicts, sacrifices, and rewards of a career spent harmonizing with others. These gifted artists span a range of styles, genres, and eras of popular music, but each shares a fascinating, personal story of life spent in the shadows of superstardom. Along with rare archival footage and a peerless soundtrack, 20 Feet From Stardom includes interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Mick Jagger and Sting to name just a few. However, these world-famous figures take a backseat to the array of backup singers whose lives and stories take center stage in the film. Winner: Best Documentary, San Francisco and Seattle International Film Festivals.
View the trailer.
- Sana Dati | If Only
- Family Film Sunday: Talk to …
- Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaqui…
- Lenny Cooke
- Opera on Screen: La Bohème f…
- Short Peace
- Le Chef
- Ballet on Screen: La Sylphid…
- Mood Indigo | L'écume des jo…
- Bicycling with Molière | Alc…
- On My Way | Elle s’en va
- The French Minister | Quai d’Orsay
- Chinese Puzzle | Casse-tête chinois
- Queen Margot | La reine Margo
- Picasso’s Gang | La Banda Picasso
- Opera on Screen: Jules Masse…
- Family Film Sunday: See The …