Thursday May 01 01:00 PM
Thursday May 01 07:30 PM
Friday May 02 01:00 PM
Friday May 02 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $10.00
General Admission: $12.00
About the Film:
Directed by Hiroaki Ando, Shuhei Morita, Katsuhiro Otomo, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. 2013. Japan. 68 mins. Japanese with English subtitles.
Katsuhiro Otomo, creator of Akira, has assembled this outstanding anthology of four short animated films. In 1995, his epic anthology Memories showcased the work of upcoming superstars of the anime world. Now, Otomo spotlights a new generation of master creators of visionary films.
A lone traveler is confronted by unusual spirits in an abandoned shrine in the 2013 Academy Award–nominated Possessions (Tsukumo), directed by Shuhei Morita (Coicent, Kakurenbo). A mysterious white bear defends the royal family from the predations of a red demon in the brutal Gambo, directed by Hiroaki Ando (Five Numbers!) from Redline’s Katsuhito Ishii’s original story with character designs by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion). The focus shifts from supernatural to science fiction for the action-packed Farewell To Weapons (Buki Yo Saraba), as Mobile Suit Gundam designer Hajime Katoki helms Otomo’s tour-de-force saga of men battling robotic tanks in apocalyptic Tokyo, while grandmaster Otomo himself assumes the directorial reins for a spectacular tale of love, honor and firefighting in ancient Japan with the award-winning Combustible (Hi-No-Youjin).
$12, $10 museum members
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015