Bicycling with Molière | Alceste à bicyclette
Tuesday May 06 07:30 PM
Friday May 09 01:00 PM
Wednesday May 14 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Philippe Le Guay. 2013. France. 104 mins, French and Italian with English subtitles.
Classic theater, beautiful scenery, and expert performances are an irresistible combination in this sharp, literate comedy about two egocentric actors taking on Molière’s The Misanthrope and trying not to strangle one another in the process. Seeking to prove he’s not a hack, successful soap-opera actor Gauthier (Lambert Wilson, star of Of Gods And Men) journeys to the remote Île de Ré to persuade retired thespian Serge (Fabrice Luchini, who worked with Le Guay in Women On The 6th Floor) to join him in a production of Molière’s The Misanthrope. Exhilarating performances of Molière (some recited while bicycling around the island) alternate with Serge’s exasperating prima donna behavior, complicated by both men’s attraction to a fiery Italian divorcée.
Official Selection: Tribeca Film Festival; Palm Springs International Film Festival; Portland International Film Festival.
See the trailer.
A New York Times Critics' Pick. Read the review.
- Jellyfish Eyes
- Love Live! The School Idol Movie
- Attack on Titan: Part One
- Bon Lin
- When Marnie Was There
- The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
- The Misfits: 30 Years of Fluxus
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity
- Ballet on Screen: L'Histoire…
- June Bride: Redemption of a Yakuza
- JACO: A Documentary Film
- Godzilla: The Japanese Original
- Family Film Sunday: Fantasti…
- Attack on Titan: Part Two: E…
- HI Sk8 Films 2015 shorts showcase
- Opera on Screen: The Three T…
- I Am Thalente