Bicycling with Molière | Alceste à bicyclette
Tuesday May 06 07:30 PM
Friday May 09 01:00 PM
Wednesday May 14 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Philippe Le Guay. 2013. France. 104 mins, French and Italian with English subtitles.
Classic theater, beautiful scenery, and expert performances are an irresistible combination in this sharp, literate comedy about two egocentric actors taking on Molière’s The Misanthrope and trying not to strangle one another in the process. Seeking to prove he’s not a hack, successful soap-opera actor Gauthier (Lambert Wilson, star of Of Gods And Men) journeys to the remote Île de Ré to persuade retired thespian Serge (Fabrice Luchini, who worked with Le Guay in Women On The 6th Floor) to join him in a production of Molière’s The Misanthrope. Exhilarating performances of Molière (some recited while bicycling around the island) alternate with Serge’s exasperating prima donna behavior, complicated by both men’s attraction to a fiery Italian divorcée.
Official Selection: Tribeca Film Festival; Palm Springs International Film Festival; Portland International Film Festival.
See the trailer.
A New York Times Critics' Pick. Read the review.
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival 2015
- Still Alice
- Racing Extinction
- Speechless: The Polar Realm …
- Shark Girl • México Pelágico
- Into the Gyre • The Plastic Age
- Our Deepest Waters • My Sal…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …
- Exhibition on Screen • Matis…
- Family Film Sunday • Fantast…
- She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry
- Just Beyond Hope
- Opera on Screen • Benvenuto …
- Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten: …