Chaplin Shorts: Pay Day | Sunnyside | The Idle Class + The Circus
Saturday May 17 04:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Charlie Chaplin. USA. 84 mins. total. Silent with musical accompaniment
Pay Day (1922. 22 mins)
Charlie is a bricklayer who sets off to celebrate payday with his pals. But his wife is waiting with the rolling pin.
Sunnyside (1919. 30 mins)
Charlie is a farm laborer who’ll try anything to win over his pretty neighbor, but ends up spending a lot of time in dreamland.
The Idle Class (1921. 32 mins)
Charlie is the spitting image of a rich woman’s drunken husband. At a masked ball, her inability to distinguish one from the other leads to much confusion.
Directed by Charlie Chaplin. 1928. USA. 74 mins. Silent with musical accompaniment
When we first meet Chaplin’s Tramp in this comic gem, he’s in typical straits: broke, hungry, destined to fall in love and just as sure to lose the girl. Mistaken for a pickpocket and pursued by a peace officer into a circus tent, the Tramp becomes a star when delighted patrons think his escape from John Law is an act. At the first-ever Academy Awards® ceremony, Charles Chaplin was honored with a special statuette “for versatility and genius in writing, acting, directing and producing The Circus.” And, it went without saying, for again bringing laughter to packed movie palaces across America.—MK2 & Warner Bros.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- The Chef's Wife • On a faill…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Opera on Screen • Le Comte O…
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …