Extinction Soup + Coastguards + Baja + Darwin's Dream
Sunday Jun 08 06:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Part of World Oceans Day Hawai‘i 2014.
Directed by Phil Waller. 2013. United States. 60 mins.
Extinction Soup follows documentary filmmaker Philip Waller on his quest for adventure as he sets out to tell the story of his larger-than-life friend and extreme sports legend, Jimmy Hall. The film quickly takes a surprise turn when Waller finds himself consumed with exposing to the world an environmental catastrophe in the making - the extinction of the oceans' shark population through the mass slaughter of these magnificent animals for their fins. Waller documents the efforts of conservationist Stefanie Brendl as she fights to educate lawmakers and help pass ground-breaking legislation that will curb the consumption of shark fin soup, considered a delicacy in many Eastern cultures, and the impetus behind 70 million sharks being killed per year.
Watch the trailer.
Presented by Kona Brewing Co.
Special guests: Join a post-creening panel discussion with director Phil Waller; Sen. Clayton Hee; Stefanie Brendl, executive producer Extinction Soup; Inga Gibson, HSUS (Humane Society of United States)
Directed by Austin Gallagher. 2012. United States. 4 mins.
This short illustrates humanity’s fear and fascination for sharks, while bringing their ecological importance—and plight—into the spot light.
Directed by Erick Higuera. 2012. Mexico. 5 mins.
After a year of hard work and dedication, the Baja project was completed to show and share with you the amazing and beautiful creatures that inhabit its waters. These beauties are still there, but most are threatened.
Directed by Dustin Adamson. 2014. United States. 5 mins.
This short film takes a look at the underwater life and beauty in the Galápagos Islands. Charles Darwin changed the way we view the world. Imagine if he could have seen what lay beneath the sea.
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Land of Patagones | Tierra D…
- The North Canyon: Nazaré Cal…
- Onde Italiane double feature…
- The Salt Trail + Black Sapph…
- East Coast Double Feature! A…
- Good Morning Miyazaki + Catc…
- Innersection: Black + Se7en Signs
- MANA The Film
- The Old, the Young & the Sea…
- Serendipity + Had Too Much t…
- New Wave Surf Shorts
- Ballet on Screen | Bodas De …
- Honolulu Surf Film Festival …
- Mt Zion
- Road to the Globe + Kotiro M…
- White Lies + Maumahara
- Mana Wairoa Maori Shorts
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods
- Opera on Screen | Falstaff f…
- Family Film Sunday: Take Wing
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …