OUT in the Line-up + Flux: Redefining Women’s Surfing + Easkey Britton: Surf in Iran
Tuesday Jul 08 07:30 PM
Friday Jul 18 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
OUT in the Line-up
Directed by Ian W Thomson. Australia. 2014. 69 mins.
OUT in the Line-up follows Australian surfers David Wakefield and Thomas Castets as they embark on a journey from the east coast of Australia to Hawai‘i, California, Mexico and the Galàpagos Islands to uncover the taboo of homosexuality in surfing. Throughout their travels David and Thomas hear stories of fear, isolation and self-doubt, but are also inspired by tales of hope, self-empowerment and transformation. As their journey unfolds, David and Thomas hope to create change in surf culture, looking to surfing’s grassroots values of freedom of spirit, open-mindedness, and love for the ocean.
Flux: Redefining Women’s Surfing
Directed by Mia Montanile, Sarah Lee, Chad King. USA. 2014. 17 mins
Surfing is an expression of freedom for women around the world, but what happens when the media and larger culture of sexualization threaten to take that freedom away?
Easkey Britton: Surf in Iran
Directed by Marion Poizeau. France/Ireland. 2013. 5 mins
Irish big-wave surfer Easkey Britton became the first woman to surf off the coast of Iran in 2013. This is her story.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …