Stephanie in the Water + Hope and Hope More + Women Who Run with the Tides + Surfing Possibility: The Surfer Girls of India
Saturday Jul 12 01:00 PM
Friday Jul 18 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Stephanie in the Water
Directed by Ava Warbrick. USA | Puerto Rico | Micronesia | Australia. 2013. 70 mins
Professional surfer Stephanie Gilmore won her first world championship event at age 17 on a day off from high school. Over the next four years, she led the sport, claiming consecutive world titles as the undisputed champion. Stephanie’s talent seemed untouchable—until a violent turn of events abruptly ended her winning streak. This intimate documentary portrait follows Stephanie on the professional circuit as she reassesses her future. Director Ava Warbrick explores the culture of surfing, growing up as a professional athlete, and what it means to be the best.
Hope and Hope More
Directed by Heather Hudson. USA. 2013. 7 mins
Filmmaker Heather Hudson (The Women and the Waves) celebrates the life and legacy of soul surfer Zeuf Hesson. Follow seven surfers, Zeuf, Linda, Nancy, Jeannette, Lara, Brenda, and Heather, as they journey to Mexico for their annual surf trip of fun waves, delicious food, good times and relaxation.
Women Who Run with the Tides
Directed by Michelle Shearer. Australia. 2013. 18 mins
An ode to older women in surfing and the unique qualities they bring to the line-up, this film focuses on Marg, 64, Sally, 58, and Carol, 50—three surfers from Lennox Head, NSW, Australia.
Surfing Possibility: The Surfer Girls of India
Directed by Cara Jones and Farhana Huq. USA. 2013. 5 mins
Meet Ishita Malaviya, India’s first female surfer.
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Land of Patagones | Tierra D…
- The Salt Trail + Black Sapph…
- Innersection: Black + Se7en Signs
- The Old, the Young & the Sea…
- Mt Zion
- Road to the Globe + Kotiro M…
- White Lies + Maumahara
- Mana Wairoa Māori Shorts
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods
- Opera on Screen | Falstaff f…
- Life Itself
- Finding Fela!
- Family Film Sunday: Take Wing
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …
- A Cube of Sugar | Ye Habe Ghand
- Snow on the Pines | Barf Roo…
- The Orange Suit | Narenji Poush
- The Last Step | Peleh Akher