Sold Out | Under the Blood-Red Sun
Sunday Sep 21 11:00 AM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
FREE special screening presented by Bank of Hawaii
Reservations recommended | Theater doors open at 10:30am
Directed by Tim Savage. USA. 2014. 90 mins.
This brand-new film, shot on location on O‘ahu, is an adaptation of the award-winning Graham Salisbury youth novel Under the Blood-Red Sun.
It's Dec. 7, 1941, and Tomikazu "Tomi" Nakaji and his best friend Billy Davis are playing baseball in a field near their homes in Hawai‘i when Japan launches a surprise attack at Pearl Harbor.
As Tomi looks up at the sky and recognizes the Blood-Red Sun emblem on the amber fighter planes, he knows that his life has changed forever.
His father and grandfather, both Japanese-Americans, are arrested and taken to internment camps. His mother loses her job because she is Japanese. Although Tomi feels frightened and ashamed of his native land, he is quickly forced to become the man of the family.
Under the Blood-Red Sun is an unforgettable tale of courage, survival and friendship.
See the trailer.
- Nat King Cole: Afraid of the Dark
- MIND/GAME: The Unquiet Journ…
- Christmas Wedding Baby
- America Is Still the Place
- How Sweet the Sound: The Bli…
- Jimmy Goes to Nollywood
- BaddDDD Sonia Sanchez
- Romeo Is Bleeding
- The Art of Ama Ata Aidoo
- Black Panthers: Vanguard of …
- The Amazing Nina Simone
- Holding Fast the Dream: Hawa…
- Akounak Tedalat Taha Tazough…
- Taking Israel
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Once in a Lifetime • Les Héritiers
- Labyrinth of Lies
- Above and Beyond
- Sabena Hijacking – My Version
- Family Film Sunday: Belle an…