Sold Out | Under the Blood-Red Sun
Sunday Sep 21 11:00 AM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
FREE special screening presented by Bank of Hawaii
Reservations recommended | Theater doors open at 10:30am
Directed by Tim Savage. USA. 2014. 90 mins.
This brand-new film, shot on location on O‘ahu, is an adaptation of the award-winning Graham Salisbury youth novel Under the Blood-Red Sun.
It's Dec. 7, 1941, and Tomikazu "Tomi" Nakaji and his best friend Billy Davis are playing baseball in a field near their homes in Hawai‘i when Japan launches a surprise attack at Pearl Harbor.
As Tomi looks up at the sky and recognizes the Blood-Red Sun emblem on the amber fighter planes, he knows that his life has changed forever.
His father and grandfather, both Japanese-Americans, are arrested and taken to internment camps. His mother loses her job because she is Japanese. Although Tomi feels frightened and ashamed of his native land, he is quickly forced to become the man of the family.
Under the Blood-Red Sun is an unforgettable tale of courage, survival and friendship.
See the trailer.
- Arrangiarsi (pizza...and The…
- Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami
- Jewel's Catch One
- Family Film Sunday: Lu Over …
- The Martian
- Happening: A Clean Energy Re…
- Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach
- Momentum Generation
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2018
- Locals Only
- Blue Intensity + The Church …
- Her Waves
- The Endless Winter II; Surfi…
- Perilous Sea + The Seawolf
- Blue Road + Surfing the Sout…
- She is the Ocean
- Adaptive Surfing films + panel
- Wave Inspirations curated by…
- HI Sk8 Films Shorts Showcase 2018
- Family Film Sunday: Given
- Emocean + Cuban Wave Riders
- Big Wata (The Ocean)
- Surf Profiles
- The Essence