Stage on Screen | The Master Builder
Sunday Sep 14 07:30 PM
Tuesday Sep 16 07:30 PM
Thursday Sep 18 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Jonathan Demme. USA. 2014. 130 mins.
Jonathan Demme, André Gregory, and Wallace Shawn update Henrik Ibsen's The Master Builder, a modern classic about a successful, egomaniacal architect who has spent a lifetime bullying his wife, employees and mistresses—and who nonetheless wants to make peace with himself as his life approaches its final act. Working from his own translation of the Norwegian text, Shawn gives a tour-de-force performance as the cruel, yet guilt-ridden architect. Demme's direction is based on the near-legendary production created for the stage by André Gregory, developed over a 14-year period. Lisa Joyce plays a sensual, mysterious young visitor, who turns the household upside down, much to the consternation of Julie Hagerty, perfectly cast as Shawn's neurasthenic, long-suffering wife. Scandinavian angst reinterpreted by New York's finest.
- Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
- Ballet on Screen: Don Quixot…
- Stage on Screen: Great Expec…
- Happy Birthday, Tūtū Ruth an…
- Opera on Screen: Arabella • …
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana