Moana: The Rising of the Sea
Thursday Sep 25 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Vilsoni Hereniko. Fiji/USA. 2014. 35 mins.
Juxtaposing moving images of sea levels rising in Oceania with poetry, music, dance, and drama, this extraordinary film, which is based on the stage production of the same name, is a meditation on cultural loss, displacement, and our collective responsibility to each other. This elaborate and ambitious Oceanian music-dance-drama is born out of a desire to use the performing arts of the Pacific to bring attention to many island nations’ most pressing issue—climate change.
Special guest: Join us for a panel discussion on the impact of climate change and rising sea levels, led by Executive producer and writer, Professor Vilsoni Hereniko, following the screening.
- Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
- Ballet on Screen: Don Quixot…
- Stage on Screen: Great Expec…
- Happy Birthday, Tūtū Ruth an…
- Opera on Screen: Arabella • …
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana