Moana: The Rising of the Sea
Thursday Sep 25 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Vilsoni Hereniko. Fiji/USA. 2014. 35 mins.
Juxtaposing moving images of sea levels rising in Oceania with poetry, music, dance, and drama, this extraordinary film, which is based on the stage production of the same name, is a meditation on cultural loss, displacement, and our collective responsibility to each other. This elaborate and ambitious Oceanian music-dance-drama is born out of a desire to use the performing arts of the Pacific to bring attention to many island nations’ most pressing issue—climate change.
Special guest: Join us for a panel discussion on the impact of climate change and rising sea levels, led by Executive producer and writer, Professor Vilsoni Hereniko, following the screening.
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival 2015
- Still Alice
- Racing Extinction
- Speechless: The Polar Realm …
- Shark Girl • México Pelágico
- Into the Gyre • The Plastic Age
- Our Deepest Waters • My Sal…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …
- Exhibition on Screen • Matis…
- Family Film Sunday • Fantast…
- She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry
- Just Beyond Hope
- Opera on Screen • Benvenuto …
- Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten: …