Thursday Mar 30 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Danny Boyle. UK. 1996. 93 min.
Before T2 Trainspotting comes out this year, see the original drug-heavy hit that rocked audiences and critics—and launched the career of director Danny Boyle!
Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor), a young man with few prospects and fewer ambitions, lives in economically depressed Edinburgh. Like most of his friends, Renton is a heroin addict who lives for the drug's blissful high, and financing his habit also provides excitement and challenges that his life otherwise lacks. Renton's two best friends are also junkies: Sick Boy (Jonny Lee Miller), a snappy dresser obsessed with James Bond, and Spud (Ewan Bremner), a guileless nerd who seems like Pee Wee Herman's debauched cousin. Renton and his pals also hang out with Begbie (Robert Carlyle), a borderline psychotic who loathes junkies even though he drinks like a fish. After one too many brushes with the law, Renton kicks heroin and moves to London, where he finds a job, a flat, and something close to peace of mind. However, Sick Boy, Begbie, and Spud all arrive at his doorstep on the trail of a big score, leading Renton back into drugs and crime.
Read the Empire review.
- Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami
- The Martian
- Happening: A Clean Energy Re…
- Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach
- Momentum Generation
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2018
- Locals Only
- Blue Intensity + The Church …
- Her Waves
- The Endless Winter II; Surfi…
- Perilous Sea + The Seawolf
- Blue Road + Surfing the Sout…
- She is the Ocean
- Adaptive Surfing films + panel
- Wave Inspirations curated by…
- HI Sk8 Films Shorts Showcase 2018
- Family Film Sunday: Given
- Emocean + Cuban Wave Riders
- Big Wata (The Ocean)
- Surf Profiles
- The Essence