Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
Tuesday Apr 18 01:00 PM
Tuesday Apr 18 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Part of Cinémathèque Française 2017
Presented by UniFrance and the Cultural Services of the French Embassy, the Young French Cinema program is a way to bring French films with no US distribution to art house cinemas, film societies, the Alliance Française network and American universities.
See a selection of short films that showcase France’s rising talents, from high-profile independent works to quirky comedies and powerful dramas on the world we live in today.
The Geneva Convention (La convention de Genève)
Directed by Benoit Martin. France. 2016. 15 min. French with English subtitles.
Just when he is about to take the bus home after his day at high school, Hakin is caught up in a settling of scores between a group of teenagers. The prospect of a fight holds absolutely no appeal for him, but can he avoid the confrontation?
Directed by Antoine Giorgini. France/Belgium. 2015. 19 min. French with English subtitles.
Today, Tony is supposed to audition for drama school. But Steven, his best friend and reading partner, doesn't show up. After having failed to find another volunteer Tony gives up, determined never to speak to the traitor again.
Directed by Réka Bucsi. France. 2016. 14 min.
Beyond all universal notions of love, this film depicts situations, moments, and tableaux vivants that with humor and surreal imagery - and along with the constellations of the stars themselves, give space to love.
Directed by Karine Silla Pérez. France. 2016. 13 min. French with English subtitles.
Alice gives birth in prison. Her past, of being a victim and then an instigator of violence haunts her and she doesn't even want to see her baby daughter. She will leave the infant a long monologue full of love as a gift before handing her over for adoption.
When You Hear the Bells (Au Bruit des clochettes)
Directed by Chabname Zariab. Afghanistan/France. 2016. 25 min. Farsi with English subtitles.
Eighteen-year-old Saman has lived for a long time in the hell-holes of the bacha bazi (“boy play” in Afghan—sexual abuse of adolescent boys by powerful men such as armed commanders). Everything changes one day when a little boy arrives under his roof. Saman understands that he will be replaced. Told by their master Farriukhzad to teach him to dance, a friendship builds up between the two children.
- Flory’s Flame
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)