Sunday Jan 20 05:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Part of the 5th Berlin & Beyond Film Festival Honolulu.
Directed by Christian Petzold. 2018. Germany / France. 101 min. German and French with English subtitles. Hawaiʻi Premiere.
The German troops are just outside Paris. Georg escapes to Marseille at the last moment. His luggage contains the legacy of a writer named Weidel, who took his own life out of fear of persecution. This legacy comprises a manuscript, some letters and the Mexican Embassy’s assurance of a visa. Assuming the identity of Weidel, Georg tries to obtain one of the few scarce passages on a ship. Talks between refugees take place in the corridors of his small hotel, the waiting rooms of consulates, and the cafés and bars down at the harbor. Georg befriends Driss, the son of his late comrade Heinz, who died whilst trying to flee. But when he meets the mysterious Marie, his plans change. Transit is based on Anna Seghers eponymous novel, which she wrote in exile. The film is set in contemporary Marseille where these characters from the past move around. And so, history meets the present, and all of their stories combine to create one eternal transit space. – Berlinale
Official Selection—2018 Berlin, Toronto, and New York Film Festivals
Price: $9-$12. Click the link above for tickets and pricing options.
- Cat Video Film Festival 2019
- I Am Cuba
- Police Story
- Police Story 2
- Family Film Sunday: The CAFF…
- Ash is Purest White (江湖儿女)
- Pele's Path: The Journey Home
- LEONARDO cinquecento
- PIC Exchange: Leitis in Waiting
- Merata: How Mum Decolonised …
- Anote Tong in Conversation +…
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2019
- CAFF 2019 Opening Night: Ani…
- CAFF 2019: Animated Lives
- CAFF 2019: Animated Perspectives
- CAFF 2019 Family Film Sunday…