April 24, 2015 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
'Heroes and Kings' information
It's Persian and it's epic!
• Dance the night away to DJ Betty.
• Chill out as DJ Gotaro welcomes you to ARTafterDARK
• Listen to the young, up-and-coming artists from Pow! Wow! School of Music.
• The first 700 people will receive gold crowns so they can be the kings and queens they truly are.
• Take the Hero Challenge:
• Burpee competition: Most burpees in five minutes
Prize: HI fresh box and Ocean Vodka
• Balance competition: Hold a pose for up to two minutes
Prize: $25 membership and $75 gift card
• Hula hoop competition: Hula hoop for five minutes
Prize: Cut and color at Color Queen Salon
Each contestant leaves their name, email, and social media handle. We will contact them the Monday after AAD to pick up their prize.
• See Shahnameh: The Epic of the Persian Kings. Docents will be in the gallery for this month's "?Art" activity—they'll give you a sticker of a Shahnameh character, which you have to find then figure out what role he or she played in Shahnameh.
• Visit the exhibition Doris Duke’s Shangri La: Architecture, Landscape, and Islamic Art and draw on paper tiles to create a beautiful mihrab.
• Commemorate the night with a piece of Arabic calligraphy that you can take home.
FOOD + DRINK
• Mixed grill: Halal grilled chicken or lamb/beef with curried rice and cilantro cream sauce
• Flatbread wrap: grilled chicken, goat cheese, spinach, lemon cream sauce and cilantro chutney
• Off the cob: (street style) corn, curry butter, cilantro aioli, chili pepper
• Potato masala press: Potato masala, caramelized onion stuffed grilled flatbread with lemon cream sauce
• Veggie bowl: Roasted broccoli and cauliflower topped with cilantro cream sauce
• Tropical fruit verrines: Fresh island fruit, lemon cream, wafers and spiced cashews
The Organic Hero: Fresh lychee purée and freshly pressed Big Island ginger with a splash of organic lemonade.
ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
• Street parking on Beretania and Kinau Street from 6pm. FREE
• Lot behind the Honolulu Museum of Art School (1111 Victoria St.), entrances on Beretania and Young streets.
$5 for up to five hours, $2 for each additional 30 minutes or fraction thereof.
NOTE: lot closes promptly at 11pm.