April 17, 2016 11:00am-05:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday event information
Saving the planet can be fun! Come see and take part in family activities related to the exhibition Plastic Fantastic?
Help us make this a plastic-fee event! Bring reusable water bottles and bags.
• Lei making: Make a lei for someone special (or yourself!) using recycled materials.
• Buoy decor: Make art from buoys collected from O‘ahu beaches by Sustainable Coastlines. Kids will get a chance to decorate the outside of buoy and attach strings to hang.
• Sustainable art: Kids will use pieces of recycled plastic to make wind chimes and jewelry.
• Drawing Contest: Kids ages 1 to 17 are encouraged to enter! The museum gives contestants a theme and drawing supplies. The winner receives a Supporting Membership to the Honolulu Museum of Art ($100 value), and his or her artwork is used to create the following month’s event brochure and is posted on the museum's website.
• 11:15am-12:15pm: Hear a lively set by Butterside Down
• 12:30-1pm: Honolulu Theatre for the Youth will perform a short version of their production H2O: The Story of Water and Hawaii.
• 1:30-2:30pm: Hear a mix of folk, blues, rock and reggae by Paul Izak.
• 11am-3pm: Participate in Bank of Hawaii’s pop-up book swap, a mini version of their popular Book Swap featured at the Hawaii Book and Music Festival each year. Bring a book (in good condition) to swap for another book. Books of all family-friendly genres are welcomed.
11am-3pm: Make a personal “Plastic Free” commitment to make a positive impact on our environment and oceans. Anyone can take a photo with a commitment to post on social media with the hash tags: #PlasticFreeHawaii #AAOPlastic
11am-3pm: Plastic Free Hawaiʻi Water Station: Fill up your reusable water bottles for free! Remember to bring your own reusable bottle to do your part in reducing our use of single-use plastics!
DOUBLE THE FUN
FAMILY FILM SUNDAY
Waltah the Worm: Ka Wai Ola
Directed by Erik Bathen & Dr. Malia J. Smith. 2015. USA. 24 min.
11:10am + 1pm
DRAWING CONTEST WINNER
Congratulations to Jacqueline Yepes Kana, age 7, of ‘Ewa Beach: