Soul Food Junkies
Sunday Feb 17 04:00 PM
Sunday Feb 17 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Byron Hurt. USA, 2012. 64 mins. Hawai‘i premiere
Baffled by his dad’s unwillingness to change his traditional soul food diet in the face of a health crisis, award-winning filmmaker Byron Hurt sets out to learn more about this rich culinary tradition and its relevance to black cultural identity. Through candid interviews with soul food cooks, historians, and scholars, as well as with doctors, family members, and everyday people, Soul Food Junkies puts a beloved cuisine under the microscope to examine both its positive and negative consequences. Official Selection: Urban World Film Festival, Blackstar Film Festival, Philadelphia.
Make it dinner and a movie: Enjoy healthy soul food for purchase from Mom’s Soul Food on the theater’s Kinau Street Lanai from 6-7:30pm, between screenings.
Chef Sean Priester of Soul will introduce the film at 7:30pm and lead a post-screening Q+A
View the trailer.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015