Soul Food Junkies
Sunday Feb 17 04:00 PM
Sunday Feb 17 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Byron Hurt. USA, 2012. 64 mins. Hawai‘i premiere
Baffled by his dad’s unwillingness to change his traditional soul food diet in the face of a health crisis, award-winning filmmaker Byron Hurt sets out to learn more about this rich culinary tradition and its relevance to black cultural identity. Through candid interviews with soul food cooks, historians, and scholars, as well as with doctors, family members, and everyday people, Soul Food Junkies puts a beloved cuisine under the microscope to examine both its positive and negative consequences. Official Selection: Urban World Film Festival, Blackstar Film Festival, Philadelphia.
Make it dinner and a movie: Enjoy healthy soul food for purchase from Mom’s Soul Food on the theater’s Kinau Street Lanai from 6-7:30pm, between screenings.
Chef Sean Priester of Soul will introduce the film at 7:30pm and lead a post-screening Q+A
View the trailer.
- Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
- Ballet on Screen: Don Quixot…
- Stage on Screen: Great Expec…
- Happy Birthday, Tūtū Ruth an…
- Opera on Screen: Arabella • …
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana