A.K.A. Doc Pomus
Wednesday Mar 05 01:00 PM
Thursday Mar 06 07:30 PM
Tuesday Mar 11 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Peter Miller and William Hechter. 2012. USA | Canada. 99 mins. In English.
Doc Pomus’s dramatic life is one of American music’s great untold stories. Paralyzed by polio as a child, Jerome Felder reinvented himself first as a blues singer, renaming himself Doc Pomus. He then emerged as one of the most brilliant songwriters of the early rock ’n’ roll era, penning hits such as Save the Last Dance for Me, This Magic Moment, A Teenager in Love, and Viva Las Vegas, as well some of the most recorded songs in the history of popular music. Packed with rare archival imagery and interviews with Doc’s collaborators and friends, including Dr. John, Ben E. King, Joan Osborne, Shawn Colvin, Dion, Leiber and Stoller, and B.B. King, A.K.A. Doc Pomus brings to life Doc’s joyous, romantic, heartbreaking, and extraordinarily eventful journey. If you loved Searching for Sugarman and 20 Feet From Stardom, this one’s for you!
Winner: Festival Grand Prize, Stony Brook Film Festival. Official selection: Santa Fe International Film Festival, Austin Film Festival, New York Jewish Film Festival, Portland Jewish Film Festival.
View the trailer.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …