Bagong Buwan | New Moon
Sunday Apr 06 07:30 PM
Friday Apr 11 04:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Marilou Diaz-Abaya. 2001. Philippines. 130 mins. Filipino with English subtitles.
Cast: Ceasar Montano, Amy Austria, Jericho Rosales, Caridad Sanchez, Carlo Aquino, Noni Buencamino, Jiro Manio, Ronnie Lazaro, Jhong Hilario, and Jodi Santamaria.
Hailed as the first feature film to focus on the long-standing conflict between the Philippine central government and muslims in the south, Marilou Diaz-Abaya’s epic work was pioneering in its treatment of muslim Filipinos (Moros) with sympathy and sensitivity. Bagong Buwan tells the story of Ahmad (Cesar Montano), a muslim who lives in Manila, while his wife Fatima (Amy Austria) and only son Ibrahim stay in Mindanao. Ahmad is devastated when he is told that a stray bullet fired by vigilantes has killed Ibrahim. Returning home, Ahmad finds himself opposing his family’s wish to stay in their war-torn homeland. In spite of his son’s death, Ahmad still wants to live a peaceful life and insists that the best solution is for his family to move to Manila with him. Musa, Ahmad’s brother, disagrees. Musa believes that a war against the unbelievers is the only solution, and even trains his young son for a Muslim warrior’s life. An explosion near a public marketplace thrusts Ahmad and his loved ones into the center of a bloody conflict between christians and muslims, the government and the Moros. Montano’s stunning performance garnered him a Best Actor nod for a Gawad Urian, the Filipino equivalent of an Oscar.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …