Self Discovery for Social Survival
Friday Jul 12 07:30 PM
Saturday Jul 13 01:00 PM
Sunday Jul 14 07:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $10.00
General Admission: $12.00
About the Film:
Part of Honolulu Surf Film Festival 2019.
Directed by Chris Gentile. 2019. USA. 50 min.
Since the genre’s birth in the early 1950s, the surf film has involved a synthesis of image and music. Typically, these two key ingredients are sourced separately, mixed together only after the visual fact. Self Discovery for Social Survival (SDSS) subverts this recipe. Just like the osmotic waves that run through the film, the visuals and music of SDSS merge to in a reimagining of how surf films can look, sound and feel. Filmed in Mexico, the Maldives and Iceland in three separate vignettes, with narration by the legendary avant-garde filmmaker Jonas Mekas and starring Stephanie Gilmore, Creed McTaggart, Ryan Burch and more.
Directed by Sara Guix. 2019. Italy / New Zealand. 13 min.
Meet Giulia and Andrea, two Italian surfers who settled in Aotearoa New Zealand to follow their passion for surfing. Water and the sea appear in all Māori myths connected to the Land of the Long White Cloud, and they command respect and dedication.
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Thank You Mother
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…