September 28, 2012 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
'Accha!: A night of bhangra beats' information
She's back!: New York's DJ Rekha returns with her Basement Bhangra beats.
The museum introduced Honolulu to her sounds in 2008, she did an encore in 2009, and we're excited to host her once again for Accha! Joining her from LA is dhol player Malinder Tooray.
Sponsored by Tori Richard.
Here's what else is in store for this night inspired by sultry Goa nights:
• Listen to vibrant sounds of Malinder Tooray's live dhol drumming. The dhol is a central instrument of bhangra.
• Watch and learn the art of bhangra dancing.
• Participate in ?art in the Indian and Southeast Asian art galleries.
• Eat and drink exotic Indian treats by Town and Downtown.
After you've had your fill of bhangra beat, keep the subcontinental mood going with a special post-ARTafterDARK screening of Michael Winterbottom's new film Trishna, in the Doris Duke Theatre. Buy tickets and see the trailer.
ARTafterDARK admission: $10. Free for museum members.
Just a reminder—ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
1) FREE: Street parking on Beretania and Kinau Street from 6 p.m.
2) $4: The Pro Park Parking Lot behind the Art Center at Linekona, entrances on Beretania and Young streets Payment is to be made at the yellow slot box next to the parking booth.
3) $5 at the First United Methodist Church Parking Lot on the corner of Beretania and Victoria streets. NOTE: lot closes promptly at 10 p.m.
4) $5 at Kim Chee III Parking Lot on Young Street