Tuesday Apr 04 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Michael Radford. UK. 1985. 113 min.
The Doris Duke Theatre joins independent theaters such as Alamo Drafthouse, IFC Center and the Film Society of Lincoln Center in screening Michael Radford’s film of 1984. The nationwide collective screening happens on April 4 because it’s the day George Orwell’s protagonist Winston Smith begins rebelling against an oppressive government by keeping a forbidden diary.
Starring the late, great John Hurt, Michael Radford’s bleakly beautiful adaptation of Orwell’s seminal 1949 novel that depicts a government that manufactures its own facts, demands total obedience, and demonizes foreign enemies, has never been timelier.
Hurt plays Winston Smith, a government bureaucrat whose job is rewriting history and erasing people from existence in post-atomic war London. While his co-workers seem content to follow the state's laws, Winston starts to rebel by writing in a secret diary despite the ever watchful gaze of Big Brother. He suffers in solitary until he meets Julia (Suzanna Hamilton) and they engage in a stoic love affair. Their relationship is soon found out and Winston is subjected to punishment by his former friend O'Brien (Richard Burton in his final film appearance).
Read the New York Times review.
See the national event page.
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)