May 29, 2015 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
'Culture Clash' information
Priests and geishas pop up in the mammoth new paintings by Masami Teraoka. We take that play of East and West as a jumping off point for Culture Clash.
• Be one of the first people on the island to see Feast of Fools: The Triptych Paintings of Masami Teraoka. Then take part in a discussion about the cultural issues that Teraoka puts under the microscope in this month's ?art activity.
• Watch local body-art specialist Chanel Tanaka paint a model. Her contemporary Asian silohuette style of painting, inspired by traditional Japanese geisha and samurai, speaks to Japanese life, culture and architecture.
• Don't miss out on the Bento Rakugo performance of comedic, Japanese storytelling!
• Special event for teachers: Are you a teacher who enjoys ARTafterDARK? Join us for "Teachers Take on the Galleries"!
Guests join a museum educator for a 15-minute gallery activity that will get you thinking about and looking at art in a new way. Meet and network with other teachers. Time and location will be posted on our website's teacher resources page (two weeks before event) and printed in promotional materials for the evening.
• Chill to the beats of DJ Delve
• Sing your heart out at our karaoke station provided by Hoku Entertainment.
• Test out your kendama skills with the help of Razor Concepts. They will also be having battles and performances from kendama professionals.
• Enjoy the mixes by Super CW.
• Visit the Museum Shop to learn the fun card game of hanafuda with Helen Nakano, the owner of Hanafuda Hawaiian Style.
FOOD + DRINKS
• Regular fries
• Furikake fries
• Wafu fries
• Ginger pork slider with furikake fries
• Wafu burger slider with furikake fries
• California handroll (imitation crab mix, avocado, cucumber)
• Spicy tuna handroll (spicy tuna mix, cucumber, kaiware)
• Kirin Pale Lager: 100 percent malt, first press beer that features a light, crisp, full bodied flavor.
Head to Kinau Courtyard to get a cold cap on your beer and enhance your thirst-quenching drinking experience with the Frozen Beer Slushie Maker by Kirin Ichiban.
• AC⚡DC: Organic Ocean Vodka and ginger beer topped with a handmade, blueberry ginger lemonade.
ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
• Street parking on Beretania and Kinau Street from 6pm. FREE
• Lot behind the Honolulu Museum of Art School (1111 Victoria St.), entrances on Beretania and Young streets.
$5 for up to five hours, $2 for each additional 30 minutes or fraction thereof.
NOTE: lot closes promptly at 11pm.