Bury the Hatchet
Tuesday Feb 19 01:00 PM
Tuesday Feb 19 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Aaron Walker. USA, 2011, 120 mins. Hawai‘i premiere
Bury the Hatchet follows three Mardi Gras Indian Big Chiefs, descendants of runaway slaves who were taken in by the Native Americans of the Louisiana bayous. These African-American tribes were once plagued by violent gang-style clashes. Now, every year during Mardi Gras, they take to the backstreets of New Orleans, dressed in elaborate Native American–influenced costumes that they sew over the course of the year. Where they once fought with hatchets, they now battle with feathers, sequins, and beads.
Over the course of five years—before, during and after Hurricane Katrina—director Aaron C. Walker explores the art and philosophies of these men, as well as the struggles and triumphs of their communities.
View the trailer.
Special guest: Elisa Joy White, Associate Professor of Ethnic Studies at the University of Hawai‘i–Mānoa, will introduce the film at 7:30pm
Elisa Joy White completed a PhD in African Diaspora Studies at the University of California at Berkeley, where she also received a MA in African-American Studies. She also holds a MA in Media Studies from the New School University and a BA in Theatre from Spelman College. Her research interests and publications address lesser-examined African Diaspora sites, Black European Studies, the social and cultural dimensions of globalization (transnational, cosmopolitan and new diaspora communities), the construction of racial and ethnic identities, and new media studies. Dr. White’s book, Modernity, Freedom and the African Diaspora: Dublin, New Orleans, Paris, was recently published by Indiana University Press.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- The Chef's Wife • On a faill…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Opera on Screen • Le Comte O…
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …