Sunday Mar 02 04:00 PM
Saturday Mar 08 07:30 PM
Tuesday Mar 11 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Wladyslaw Pasikowski. 2013. Poland | Holland | Russia | Slovakia. 104 mins. Polish with English subtitles.
Inspired by actual events that occurred in the town of Jedwabne in northeast Poland in 1941, Aftermath tells the story of Franek and Jozek Kalina, sons of a poor farmer in an unidentified village in central Poland. Franek immigrated to the United States in the 1980s, and cut ties with his family. Only when Jozek’s wife arrives in the U.S., without explanation, does Franek return to his homeland—to discover that Jozek has been ostracized from the community. As Franek and Jozek struggle to rebuild their relationship, they are drawn into a gothic tale of intrigue. The two brothers uncover a dark secret that forces them to confront the history of their family and their hometown. Upon its release in Poland, Aftermath received acclaim and also generated intense controversy. Polish nationals have accused the film of being anti-Polish propaganda, as well as a distortion of a sensitive piece of Polish history, leading the film to be banned in some Polish cinemas.
Winner: Yad Vashem Chairman's Award, Jerusalem Film Festival; Polish Film Academy Eagle Awards (Best Film, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Production Design); Critics Prize, Gdynia Film Festival
View the trailer.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015