Marilou Diaz-Abaya: Filmmaker on a Voyage
Sunday Apr 06 04:00 PM
Friday Apr 11 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Mona Lisa Yuchengco. 2012. USA/Phillipines. 87 mins. Filipino with English subtitles.
Mona Lisa Yuchengco recounts the achievements of her friend Marilou Diaz-Abaya (1955-2012), the “first lady” of Philippine cinema, in this endearing documentary tribute. Diaz-Abaya, one of the Philippines’ most successful directors, television producers, and teachers, was responsible for a string of critically acclaimed and commercially popular films from the 1980s until her untimely death in 2012. Her unflinching efforts to tell the unheard stories of those struggling to survive harsh societal and political conditions resulted in such groundbreaking films as Brutal (1980), Karnal (1983), Baby Tsina (1984), Jose Rizal (1998), Reef Hunters (1999), and Bagong Buwan (2001).
Special guest | April 6 at 4pm: Filmmaker Mona Lisa Yuchengco will talk about her film from 6-7pm, following the 4pm screening.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- The Chef's Wife • On a faill…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Opera on Screen • Le Comte O…
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …