The Second Mother • Que Horas Ela Volta?
Wednesday Dec 09 01:00 PM
Sunday Dec 13 07:30 PM
Tuesday Dec 22 01:00 PM
Wednesday Dec 30 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Part of The A-List
Directed by Anna Muylaert. Brazil. 2015. 112 min. Portuguese with English subtitles.
An excitingly fresh and funny take on some classic themes and ideas, The Second Mother centers around Val, a hard-working live-in housekeeper in modern day Sao Paulo. Val is perfectly content to take care of every one of her wealthy employers’ needs, from cooking and cleaning to being a surrogate mother to their teenage son, who she has raised since he was a toddler. But when Val’s estranged daughter Jessica suddenly shows up, the unspoken but intrinsic class barriers that exist within the home are thrown into disarray. Jessica is smart, confident, and ambitious, and refuses to accept the upstairs/downstairs dynamic, testing relationships and loyalties and forcing everyone to reconsider what family really means. The Second Mother is Brazil’s Foreign Language Oscar® submission.
See the trailer.
Read the New York Times review.
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Thank You Mother
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…