The Death of Louis XIV (La Mort de Louis XIV)
Thursday Apr 13 01:00 PM
Thursday Apr 13 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Part of Cinémathèque Française 2017
Directed by Albert Serra. France/Portugal/Spain. 2016. 115 min. French with English subtitles.
Versailles, August 1715. Back from hunting, Louis XIV—magisterially interpreted by New Wave icon Jean-Pierre Léaud in a career-capping performance—feels a pain in his leg. A serious fever erupts, marking the beginning of the agony of the greatest King of France. Surrounded by a horde of doctors and his closest counselors who who sense the impending power vacuum, the Sun King struggles to run the country from his bed.
Based on extensive medical records and the memoirs of the Duke of Saint-Simon and other courtiers, The Death of Louis XIV is a wry neoclassical chamber drama, a work of pure magic by Albert Serra, one of today’s most singular directors.
Read the Hollywood Reporter review.
Related programming: The 400 Blows.
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…