Sanshiro Sugata Part II
Saturday Oct 07 08:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $10.00
General Admission: $12.00
About the Film:
Part of Akira Kurosawa Retrospective
Directed by Akira Kurosawa. Japan. 1945. Japanese with English subtitles. 83 min.
Kurosawa’s first film, Sanshiro Sugata, was such a success that the studio leaned on the director to make a sequel. Released just moths before Japan surrendered to the U.S., the film features a two-part narrative in which Sanshiro first fights a pair of Americans and then finds himself the target of a revenge mission undertaken by the brothers of the original film’s villain.
Though it is a product of a difficult time in Japan’s history, viewed today it is a hugely entertaining adventure, reuniting most of the major players from the original.
This film screens in conjunction with Sanshiro Sugata.
- Mama Africa: Miriam Makeba
- Cézanne: Portraits of a Life
- Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Le…
- This is Our Land | Chez Nous
- Faces Places | Visages Villages
- In the Fade | Aus Dem Nichts
- The Young Karl Marx
- Workshop | L’Atelier
- The Other Side of Hope
- Birdboy: The Forgotten Children
- The Teacher | Ucitelka
- Family Film Sunday: The 19th…
- Metric: Dreams So Real
- The King’s Choice | Kongens Nei
- A Ciambra
- The Death of Stalin
- The Devil and Father Amorth …