Sanshiro Sugata Part II
Saturday Oct 07 08:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $10.00
General Admission: $12.00
About the Film:
Part of Akira Kurosawa Retrospective
Directed by Akira Kurosawa. Japan. 1945. Japanese with English subtitles. 83 min.
Kurosawa’s first film, Sanshiro Sugata, was such a success that the studio leaned on the director to make a sequel. Released just moths before Japan surrendered to the U.S., the film features a two-part narrative in which Sanshiro first fights a pair of Americans and then finds himself the target of a revenge mission undertaken by the brothers of the original film’s villain.
Though it is a product of a difficult time in Japan’s history, viewed today it is a hugely entertaining adventure, reuniting most of the major players from the original.
This film screens in conjunction with Sanshiro Sugata.
- The Martian
- Happening: A Clean Energy Re…
- Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach
- Summer 1993
- Momentum Generation
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2018
- Locals Only
- Blue Intensity + The Church …
- Her Waves
- The Endless Winter II; Surfi…
- Perilous Sea + The Seawolf
- Blue Road + Surfing the Sout…
- She is the Ocean
- Adaptive Surfing films + panel
- Wave Inspirations curated by…
- HI Sk8 Films Shorts Showcase 2018
- Family Film Sunday: Given
- Emocean + Cuban Wave Riders
- Big Wata (The Ocean)
- Surf Profiles
- The Essence